Sunday, September 7, 2014

8-25-2014

Hey hey!

Whew, seriously no time today, due to Demi having an interview this morning and District P-Day this afternoon. So! This will be clippy!

UPDATE:

Doin' pretty well! Back into the trench of finding again though. That's the YSA mantra, always finding...and for whatever reason had a hard time actually meeting with a lot of our investigators this week. But! Hope springs eternal! And we already have some good things set up for next week, so that's awesome.

PROFILE:

Name: Rick
Age: 21
Accessory of choice: Seahawks t-shirt that he doesn't actually like. He just bought it because it was on sale.
How we found him: Son of investigators in another ward!
Bad habit: Muttering weird funny lines under his breath. He thinks of funny things, but then isn't sure of whether or not it's appropriate to say it, so then he just says it real quiet.
Major: History
Thing that brought him a lot of joy this week: Meeting a ward member named Diego who could discuss Star Trek with him
Thing that brought us a lot of joy this week: He came to institute with the aforementioned Diego! And came home smiling. Way good news. :)
Hope for the future! He's not directly all that interested in the gospel right now ('doesn't like to take sides'), but he really enjoys the activities and is reading the Book of Mormon. We hope that as we keep teaching him and bringing him to things, his heart is softened and he will have a desire to keep learning.

SPIRITUAL THOUGHT:

Again, it's going to be quick (I apologize). But here it is! D&C 25:10

This is the Lord's revelation to Emma Smith, and in it he advises her to "lay aside the things of this world, and seek for the things of a better."

I'm grateful for that admonition. I'm grateful that my faith gives me 'things of a better' world to hope for and to center my joy in. It's kind of hard to explain, but that hope for a better world really does anchor my soul in this world that is often crazy and (if you look at the news, which we don't as missionaries) depressing. I know that the world offers a lot of ways to quick-fix happiness (the newest thing, pop culture, winning awards), but 'the things of a better' offer happiness of a different kind. I know that there is long lasting peace and satisfaction that is found through the gospel and through living gospel principles. I also know that this satisfaction isn't reserved to baptized members of the church. The rewards are available to all who live the principles (of service, repentance, love, etc.). However, the fullness of understanding and the fullness of joy does come through membership and activity in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. One reason I'm really happy to be a missionary for this church.

PICTURE:

Another reason I'm really happy to be a missionary...we have Karaoke parties in YSA wards! :D





And I have companions I can make Book of Mormon Boxes for!


And there's Greek food around! (Which I love. Newly discovered heart-food)




Good life, good life. Also, if you are able, keep my mom and our family in your prayers this week. My great-grandma passed away, and I think some of us are taking it pretty hard.

I love you all!

Sister Hale

No comments:

Post a Comment