Sunday, September 7, 2014

8-11-2014

Whew! How the time does pass. Not going to comment at how I'm 2 weeks away from my 15 month birthday. Cause that's a whole long time away, right?

So I'll just update y'all instead. ;)

UPDATE:

It's been a great week! Man, I really enjoy working with Sister Van Leuven. Probably shouldn't mention that because I've attached her to this email...BUUUTTT...we have a lot of fun. (see picture below) She doesn't let me have what I want most the time. Which makes me angry, then happy. Which is probably a good thing. :P

We finally found some new investigators this week. 'BOUT TIME! And we have a couple solids set up for this next week. Sweet. Otherwise Brittany continues to be a rock star (finished Alma last Friday...and she's barely had the church in her life for a month? Wha?). Demi's moving along pretty well (see more in profile below), in Institute we're studying Paul's Epistles (WHA?!) which I've been wanting to learn more about FOREVER...! And now my new dream is to train the last two transfers of my mission and finish up in this area. Though going North would still be cool. WHO KNOWS?! Anyways, missionary life is good, fulfilling, joyful, entertaining...and all that jazz. As it should be. :)

PROFILE:

(I have profiled this individual before...but here's the update)

Name: Demi
Age: 18
New stylistic decision: Short purple-burgandy hair. Still sporting thick glasses though.
Accessory of Choice: a missionary on either side
Quote(s) that illustrate/s: (speaking to us about the Elders we split the ward with) "I call them my Elders. I call you my missionaries." ALSO (at cottage meeting last night, full of random people she didn't know) "I like being with missionaries. Missionaries are safe. They're not strangers. But they are strange."
Reason she loves the Gospel: Not...quite...sure. She definitely really wants to be baptized, that's for sure. And she really likes how she feels at church, and how friendly the people are. NOW JUST TO GET HER READING SO SHE CAN HAVE MORE REAL CONVERSION GOIN ON.
Real awkward lesson this week: Law of Chastity. Homosexual relationships in the past (and present)? Yes.
Totally skewed misconception: She can have a girlfriend and be baptized, and just be celibate!
Reason why there's hope! We...think she's crushing on a guy in our ward. A very awkward but awesome guy in our ward. In fact we KNOW she was crushing on him, because she told us. And because it's super apparent.
But maybe not: Still has a girlfriend. Thinks crush on guy was just a phase. So confused.

Yep. I hadn't dealt with this particular challenge yet, but being in Washington, I knew it would come eventually. Just praying that the spirit will help us with a paradigm shift for this young one.

SPIRITUAL THOUGHT:

We in the church focus a lot on James 1:5, because, you know, it kicked off the Restoration and stuff. BUUUUUUTTT...have you ever read James 1: 3-4? It's awesome.

"Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience. But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing."

Love that! I especially love the part where it says "but let patience have her perfect work." Trials are hard. But in the midst of them, we all have the choice to be patient, or not. If we try to 'let patience have her perfect work' we will try to respond more to her enticings than the enticings of temptation, self-pity and worry, and we will be happy. In fact, we will be "perfect and entire, wanting nothing." Sounds way good to me. We can be happy in the now, and forget procrastinating the day of our happiness until future events conspire the way we want them to. I know this is true! Now just to apply it...

PICTURE:


This sums it up pretty well. And is the picture on the back of my planner now. Awesome.



And this is the one I did NOT put on the back of my planner. Cause it was scary.



...and that's all you need from me! Love you all so much! WRITE IF YOU HAVEN'T WRITTEN! At least an email (DALLIN CATIE THOM) so I can know what's going on. :)

XOXO

Sister Hale

No comments:

Post a Comment