Saturday, September 6, 2014

6-9-2014

Hey all!

This is gonna be brief, probably. Because this week has been great, but not overwhelmingly eventful! Here goeessss...

UPDATE:

Sister Steinacker and I are doing well! We went on exchange this past week, and because our STL's are for the Spanish Zone, I finally understood what it feels like to be a missionary on the first day in a foreign mission. Sans the language training. It was nice and humbling, which I probably needed. ALSO, we got one of our investigators on date for baptism, and another one STINKIN CLOSE. Anyone have ideas for how to motivate a 17 year old boy whose greatest interests include pie and video games? I know, the question parents have been asking for the last 20 years...but seriously, if you have good suggestions, send 'em our way. Transfers are this next Tuesday, and I'm not sure what will be happening...but I think I might stay. That'd be cool. 6 MONTHS IN AN AREA, DANGIT!! That would be crazy.

PROFILE:

Name: Phill
Age: Oh...mid to late 30's, probably
Accessory of choice: Big ol' motor bike (and some tattoos to justify it)
Where we found him: twiddling around with said motor bike
Occupation: Navy. Definitely navy.
Fun fact from the past: Danced Ballet in college. Said he doesn't tell people that very much. Why he confided it to two bright-eyed girls off the street, I don't know.
Where he's found Mormons: Everywhere, apparently! He's decided Calvinists, 7th Day Adventists and Catholics are all crazy. He percieves us to be a little less crazy. That's good!
Bad Habit: Swearing a lot. Seriously.
Discussion point that angered him: We talked about how one of our lessons discussed the purpose of life. "No," he said. "Don't go telling me about the purpose of life. No one knows that, and that's the way it should be. God planted in us the question of why we're here, and it will never be answered. Don't go telling me you know what that is."
Sister Hale's mistaken attempt at match-making: 'Hey!' She thought. 'A single, energetic but kinda miserable guy who could use a great mormon girl in his life! Let's bring the awesome sister who just graduated from the singles ward along with us!' *sigh*...not so effective. She was definitely turned off by the language and the beer he chose to wet his whistle with half way through the appointment.
What we're hoping: Though he's a rough character, I think he's got a bit of goodness underneath. While he may not be ready to progress right now, we left him with a chapter to read in the Book of Mormon, and will be coming back in 3 weeks or so (he's going out to sea for a bit) to see what he thought of it.

SPIRITUAL THOUGHT:

I have a goal to read every talk in conference before next session, and I was lucky enough to read President Monson's Priesthood Session address today. It was pretty great. His theme was "Be Strong and of a Good Courage," and he talked mostly about having the courage to be 'the same person in the dark as we are in the light.' Really sound counsel. 

The part that stood out to me most though was this quote:

It is impossible to stand upright when one plants his roots in the shifting sands of popular opinion and approval. Needed is the courage of a Daniel, an Abinadi, a Moroni, or a Joseph Smith in order for us to hold strong and fast to that which we know is right. They had the courage to do not that which was easy but that which was right.

I recognize that at different times and in different phases, I've tried planting my tree (of self-esteem or what have you) in the 'sands of popular opinion and approval,' and it's not a very sure foundation. For one, it's often changing, going through revolutions of valuing this group or that...and, it's not ultimately grounded in the truth of the gospel. We plant our tree there as a result of selfish desires for 'the praise of the world,' and we may get that along the way...but end up finding that the cost was our ultimate reward, as well as our soul (and our self-respect). The world's not going to praise you very often for (as President Monson put it), 'doing the right thing because it is the right thing,' but I know ultimately that that's the only way I'll be able to live with myself--being loyal to my beliefs and values. Read the whole talk if you want more; he makes a great appeal to courage in the small moments as well as the great ones.

PICTURE:

To my great joy, we got to play 7 wonders as a District this past week. IT WAS INCREDIBLY REFRESHING (and of course, I won. :P)



And...I think that's about it! See? Not so brief! I love you all though, and look forward to continuing to hear from you. Write me! :D

XOXO

Sister Hale

No comments:

Post a Comment