Saturday, September 6, 2014

6-16-14

Hey all!

So...pretty crazy round of events in the last few days. Funny how you can just be bowling along, introducing people to the gospel and enjoying adapting popular songs to missionary themes with your sweet baby companion...and then boom! All the changes. So here goes!

UPDATE:

First off...I'm getting transferred! Whewwww...that will mean my 5th area and 7th companion. That's pretty bizzare. For a total of how many more transfers? 4? ...ANYWAYS. Second piece of change: I've been given the assignment to be a Sister Training Leader this next transfer! Meaning...that I will get to go on exchanges with sisters and be an example of perfect obedience and stuff! Wooo...! Little bit of pressure. But! I operate well under pressure, right? And the work will continue on basically the same, just with some additional responsibility. Boo yah. My secret wish is that I will go north, to Bellingham (or some place similar), where everyone is a hippie (as opposed to a druggie, which is more common in Everett). But! We shall see. :)

PROFILE:

Name: Majeed
Accessory of choice: Long robe, muted colors
How we met him: Street contacting! He was just coming out of his apartment, and on his way to prayer.
The title of our interchange that popped into my head a few minutes in: "Bible Bashing with a Muslim"
What he insisted upon: That it talks about Mohammed in the Bible, and that Jesus Christ could not literally be the son of God, because he never says he is in the Bible, and because if he is, then why would God only have one son, because he loves children and he would have more than one. (Also that Mohammed was the last Prophet, and that the Quaran is the last thing that will be revealed from God, and so why would there be additional prophets, scripture, etc?)
The moment in which I struggled very hard not to laugh: When he asked us if we knew Arabic, and we said we didn't, but he then proceeded to do two Arabic chants for us, and then asked us which one we liked better (one was him reading out of the Quaran, one was not)
Why we're now a little creeped out: We gave him a Book of Mormon and Joseph Smith's testimony as well as our number in case he had any questions...and he's been texting us a lot, asking where we're going and what we're doing and stuff. It's weird. Not sure if he wants to convert us or date us. Maybe he just has some great questions about what he's read so far in the Book of Mormon. :D :/ :X

And for every crazy profile, there must be a good! (Opposition in all things, you know)

Name: Sally
Accessory of choice: crocheted necklace pouch for her to keep her phone in
Former Place of Residence: New York
How we could tell: Her accent :P
Her children: all four-legged; the most recent one is a Pomeranian mix named Angel
Infirmity: She's had MS since she was young, and it keeps her from walking real easy.
What's so awesome: She's a super solid new investigator! Her grandma was Mormon, so she's had a bit of exposure...and she says she's never let anyone in her house before, but that we've found her at a really good time. She's been looking for a church for a while, and ours 'might just fit the bill'. :D

SPIRITUAL THOUGHT:

Quick today, because I'm running behind...but lately, my favorite title for the Savior has been 'Redeemer'. I looked up 'redeem' this past week, and got a couple pretty awesome definitions. Here's a sample:

Redeem--to free from the obligation of paying a price
Redeem--to convert into something of greater value

Both: excellent. I want to focus on the first though: to free from the obligation of paying a price. Basically all of us before baptism are exposed to the full extent of the law of justice, 'by which no flesh is justified'. We (even if we are not right now) will ultimately be held accountable for the sins and trespasses we commit, and Justice, in a sense, is our master.

Christ comes along though, and stands as an intermediary, 'answering the ends of the law to all those who come unto him with a broken heart and a contrite spirit.' He basically says, 'Come here. I'll pay this debt for you, but afterwards you are indebted to me. You continue to qualify for my payment by devoting your life to becoming better and ridding yourself of things that will ultimately make you unhappy (through the Gospel of Christ, faith, repentance, covenants, etc).'

And in that way he both redeems us (frees us from payment) and redeems us (converts us into something of greater value). It's a pretty awesome thing, and something I saw with greater clarity this week

(and I know I quoted generally from a bunch of scriptures, sorry I don't have the references)



Zits on my head, I know. :/ But, that's Dustin! He got on date this week! And hopefully he'll get baptized next transfer so I can come and celebrate with him. :)

I love you all! Feel free to write; I love to hear what's going on.

XOXO

Sister Hale

No comments:

Post a Comment