Monday, May 19, 2014

3-31-2014

Hey Famery!! And friends I guess, hey to you too. :P

How are y'all! <insert obligatory comment about how time is passing quickly. (it is ;P)> <insert blanket summery about how it's been a great week (it has ;P)> <insert comment on the necessity of my moving along and getting this letter written (here I go :) )>

UPDATE

So! Main features of this week have been 1) new baby companion, and 2) crazy productivity. Lots of fun, in general! My new companion is Sister Steinacker, and I received her on Tuesday (before then, following the mother-daughter/trainer-trainee thing, I was technically 'expecting' (though who the father is, you will NEVER KNOW!! Alright, too far. Moving on. :P) ). She's from Utah (counting Sister Mailau, she's the...4th companion I've had from Utah. Sheesh! Though my other two were Samoa and Texas. That's diverse enough I guess. :P) She's very smart, very willing, very obedient and quick to learn. Grew up a half hour from Provo and then went to BYU for a year, likes YA fiction (her affinity for which caused me to have a dream about Percy Jackson, which I have never read) and plays the piano (finally! Both our ward and our zone have been suffering for lack of pianists). We're getting along fairly well though, (she doesn't like to take charge; a plus for me ;P) and will be getting to know each other better and better in the coming weeks. Rushed selfie to follow in the picture section. :)

PROFILE

Name: Roxy
Mode of introduction: Staring into the half-lit car while missionaries rush to get their numbers in Sunday night, until said missionaries look up and roll down the window.
Drug of choice: Probably pot. I've learned that smell very well since coming to Washington.
Scary circumstance: I don't remember the whole story, but apparently some guy stole their trailer with all their stuff, and now she's homeless. Whewwww...
What we gave her: A long prayer, a listening ear, and a Plan of Salvation Pamphlet
Why it might be a bummer if we never see her again: Towards the end of the contact, Sister Steinacker asked Roxy if she had any gloves for her walk home. When the reply was no, she gave her her brand new leathery missionary gloves. Like a pro. And maybe we'll get them back, but probably not. But that's okay.

THOUGHT

Like I said last week, still blessed to be in 3rd Nephi, where the Savior visits the Nephites. Just read Chapter 27 this morning, which is one of the best. Towards the middle of the chapter, I read this:

vs 14-16: "...even so should men be lifted up by the Father, to stand before me, to be judged of all their works, whether they be good or whether they be evil--And for this cause have I been lifted up; therefore, according to the power of the Father I will draw all men unto me, that they may be judged according to their works. And it shall come to pass, that whoso repenteth and is baptized in my name shall be filled; and if he endureth to the end, behold, him will I hold guiltless before my Father at that day when I shall stand to judge the world."

The 'shall be filled' part isn't the essence of my thought; it's just my favorite part of these verses and deserves notice. :) BUT! Essence of my thought:

People in the Christian world at least accuse us fairly often for being a 'works centered people' (thinking that we can save ourselves by what we do). And perhaps just looking at the external manifestations of the church this makes sense; we are very fruitful in the 'works' that we do (delivering dinners, offering service, missionary work, etc.) And Christ says right there (as well as in the Bible) that we will be judged by our works...so what does this mean exactly? Do we think we can be saved by what we do? ......well, yes and no. Depends on your definition of 'saved' and 'what we do', and I don't have time for all of that. But, saved in the sense of overcoming physical and spiritual death and living with God again, it's that last verse (16) that really shows what it is important for us to do. 1) Repent. 2) Be baptized. 3) Endure to the end. So we have to change, give our sins away so we can be cleansed from them (steps 1 and 2), and then continue in that path, with integrity to that first decision for the rest of our lives. That means continuing to avoid sin and to emulate the Savior as best we can, which in large part means serving and blessing others. This might be the traditional 'works' that Christians are all hung up on us thinking we can be saved through, but really those works matter only as an indication that we are keeping our baptismal covenants and staying true to the Lord. In other places it says we are juged by our 'works and the desires of our hearts,' so even if our works are good but our heart is sour, it won't profit us anything. 

ANYWAYS, long thought. And I think that's enough on it. In essence, our works only matter as an indication of what we are and what we're trying to be. DONE! 

PICTURE
Inline image 1

See? She's cute and stuff. And skinny. With all new missionary things. *jealous* :P

Love y'all! WRRIIITTTEE MEE...!

XOXO

Sister Hale


No comments:

Post a Comment