Saturday, November 22, 2014

9-29-2014

Hey all!

Whewww...where did September even go? *sigh* I keep having weird dreams about going home and being super freaked about all the free time. Probably going to be a reality. But...not if I keep living missionary life after December 2nd!! :D Which I plan to do...to a realistic extent. ;) RM PLANNERS FOR THE WIN! :D

UPDATE:

It's kinda tough after you've been in the area for a while and with a companion for a while to come up with new stuff to put in this update. BUT! We keep chuggin along. :) The ward's doing great, Brittany's doing great (has finished the whole triple and is getting her Patriarchal Blessing on the 6th! :D)...the work is going well! We were able to find some solid new investigators this week, which always grows your faith. Christine drove herself to church this week (to the 9am family ward instead of our 12:30 YSA ward because she had conflicts later in the day...but still!) and is really feeling the fruits of the spirit. More happiness, more peace...she's the 'happy virus' at work she says, since she's been learning with us. And that is happy making for missionaries too :)

PROFILE:

...confession! I've profiled almost everyone I can think of to profile. So guess what you get this week? A PROFILE OF SISTER VAN LEUVEN!

Name: Leah (gasp!) Van Leuven
Age: 21
Nickname(s): Van Lovin' it, Van Lovin, Van Lulu, SVL (my personal fave)
Super power: Not eating desserts for an entire year
Color: WHITE! White white white. But the really stubborn kinda white that drive Red people crazy. :P
Passions: ...Missionary work ;) ...Football. Hangin with the Sisters (at appropriate times). Being OPEN AND HONEST all the time.
Missionary Strengths: Bold. Simple. Conserves energy well for use in our most productive activities. Voice of reason. Pillar of strength ( Yeah, I'm way good at the words of affirmation thing ;) )
Her pet peeve about me: I worry too much, I can get whiny sometimes and freak out for no reason (I'm working on it)
My pet peeve about her: SO INDEPENDENT. Has no needs. She's makes me want to buy a plant, and tell her 'If I don't water it, this plant will DIE' so that she can see that other things/people need sustenance, and sometimes people just need to be needed...
How we've achieved a good balance: I've chilled out (Significantly. Hopefully.) She's learned to make fun of me, which fills my words of affirmation crazy need. And we work hard and at a good pace (in between my natural barebone rations pace and her natural super chill pace)
Why we're still happy after 3 transfers (4 months) of near-24 hour contact with each other: Because of open communication! And because we have complimentary strengths and weaknesses, and have the same ultimate desires and goals (for our area and in our missionary work).

SPIRITUAL THOUGHT:

Reading in Alma 24 today, verse 18 really stuck out to me. This is discussing a group of people who used to be vile awful sinners who are ultimately converted by some stellar missionary work and exposure to the spirit. The verse reads,

"...that rather than shed the blood of their brethren they would give up their own lives; and rather than take away from a brother they would give unto him; and rather than spend their days in idleness they would labor abundantly with their hands."

Conversion is such an awesome thing. Look at all those things they used to do (shed blood, take, be lazy) and all the things they're now doing (give up their lives, give to others, work hard) as a result of their conversion. I think many would argue that you can still achieve those good ends (sacrifice, charity, work ethic) without God and without religion, and it may be true that these good qualities are not restricted to believers. But for me, without the gospel I would wonder at why I was even doing these good things. I would lack the purpose and sustaining peace that the Gospel grants me, and sooner or later my self-motivation would fail me. I am very grateful for the gospel, which changes me from the inside out and inspires me to keep working and keep improving.

PICTURE:

You get two this week! A nice one and a gross one.

NICE ONE!




​Dad you would've loved this place. Iconic drive in with only 6 locations, and SUPER CHEAP and good.

GROSS ONE:


Went on exchange this week to a bike area, and it rained. Hard. Without a break. Fall in Washington is here people!

Love you all :) Hope you're having a great week!

Sister Hale

No comments:

Post a Comment