Sunday, March 16, 2014

3-3-2014

Yep, that's right! Half-way point, pretty strange. I was at a Zone Conference this past Friday with some sisters, and I was tied for the oldest (in mission age) one there. Now I'm supposed to like, know what I'm doing and stuff. What?! Anyway...;P

So, newsflash for those of you who didn't know: I was actually home for three days this past week! The family is moving to Japan (newsflash again if that was something new), and in order for me to 'move with them' (get on the Government's orders, etc. I needed to get health inspections etc. and get cleared. So I'm cleared! And not too trunky! So life is good. ;P But, for the bit of work I DID accomplish this week, I'll give you a bit of an update...

UPDATE:

So I still feel like a newbie to this crazy ward, especially with spending most of the week away from things. BUT, the few days we did have, we spent on getting trained on a new way to teach (exciting), seeing Carla and Sheila who are both on date, trying to organize a ward list of 800 members (and a lot of less actives), and having conversations that almost turned into contentious Bible bashes. See below!

PROFILE:

Name: John
Age: Mmm...early 40s.
How we met him: Talked to him while he was walking his dog on a dimly lit street at night. BRAVERY!
Accessory of Choice: When he's cleaning with bleach, a big ole white cover-all. And a snazzy pair of square rim glasses.
Favorite past-time: Preparing to teach his Sunday school class out of the NIV.
Major hang-up: The trinity. The Book of Mormon OBVIOUSLY doesn't teach that Christ is God, so we're wrong. (working on it)
Why I like him: Because he's very kind, has a great spirit about him (though his 'I know what you believe' statements tend to make Sister Kennedy mad) and read 4 chapters of Jacob before our seeing him last time, when we only asked him to read 1! It may be slow, but he's willing to read and talk to us, which is a good start.

And another, because I can!

Name: Zach Herrin
Age: late 30's
Attribute of mention: Sneering Jersey Accent that he can't seem to turn off
Accessory of Choice: Underarmor long sleeved shirt.
Major question: Why wouldn't God answer the prayer of a 10 year old kid crying out in pain because of a persistent tooth ache? (I'm sure there's a scriptural answer for that somewhere...)
Weird thing: Though he's been excommunicated twice, his wife is a recent convert and still feels warmly towards us and the church. Wooorrrrrking on it.
Nickname for us: 'Team Purple!' assumingly because of my plum purple overcoat :)

THOUGHT:

Oh my...I'm learning so much about how to relate to people and how people learn...but it's hard to consolidate that into a single scripturally based thought. And my time is short. SOOO...I'll just share a bit what I was reading out of Helaman 16!

vs 1: "And as many as believed on his word went forth and sought out Nephi; and when they had come forth and found him they confessed unto him their sins and denied not, desiring that they might be baptized unto the Lord."

I love it; in this simple verse it teaches the first 3 steps of the doctrine of Christ: faith, repentance and baptism, and how one leads to another. If you truly have faith, you want to repent. And if you've repented, you want to seal that repentance with baptism; a promise (or witness) that you're going to try to live the way God wants you to, and you're going to keep trying for your entire life. The Book of Mormon teaches the Doctrine of Christ so clearly, and I'm grateful for it, and to have it clarify and inform the things taught in the Old and New Testaments.

I LOVE YOU ALL! Just a fun picture and I'll be done. :)

PICTURE: 

Inline image 1

Such a cheater shot, I'm sorry. WEIRRRDD!! But mom's tag says 'junior missionary,' which was true this week, because she was my junior companion (doesn't mean I got to drive the car though ;P)

LOVE YOU!

XOXXO

Sister Hale

No comments:

Post a Comment