Monday, December 2, 2013

9/30/2013

Hey all!

Alright, so another good week. It went by VERY quickly, though I hear that that's just how time on the mission goes. Falls past you faster than you would've thought possible. Maybe that's true of a life filled with service and the spirit; it skips past you in the blink of an eye, and you come to meet God all the more quickly. I'll let you know if it starts to slow down. So:

AN UPDATE:

The work progresses! We're getting to the end of the transfer, which means there's a slight chance I may be moved outta here. Probably not though because I've just started (and because I love it here. Don't move me!)...so fingers crossed. The Ward has finished it's 40 day fast (one family fasting each day for 40 days for missionary work, and it's culminating in a big activity this weekend. Hoping to get lots of people out for that. Were able to teach a lot of great lessons and make some really solid contacts this week, which feels good. Had one day where we handed out 3 Books of Mormon, and another super great contact the day after (who we referred to other missionaries). Also got Amber, our new investigator from last week on date for baptism at the end of October. She seems very very ready, if she has some definite struggles she's dealing with. Super blessed to be working with her though. Also very excited for Conference. :)) Get ready for it! 

AN EXPERIENCE:

The miracles we see day in and day out are priceless, and evidence that the work we're doing is true. My favorite one of this past week: Sister Mailau and I were having a companionship moment. Something about not using time well and missing an appointment, etc etc...and we were not really in a good place to talk to people right then. Had our bikes parked and were talking about it, when this dog runs right up to us. 'Augh,' I thought. 'Not a good time.' But! We took a breath and talked to this guy chasing after his dog...AND, he'd grown up in the church and had a non-member wife with a lot of questions. Seemed open to getting back into things. What?! It was awesome. Definitely an example of the Lord leading people to us (rather than us being lead to them in that particular instance).

A SPIRITUAL THOUGHT:

One thing I've really been thinking about this last week comes from the 5th verse of A Poor Wayfaring Man of Grief. It says:

Revived his spirit, and supplied
Wine, oil, refreshment--he was healed.
I had myself a wound concealed,
But from that hour forgot the smart,
And peace bound up my broken heart.

That's been so true of myself on my mission. Sometimes we have hurts and pains, and the automatic response is just to meditate on them. To draw in and let them fester until they overcome us and we feel incapable of doing anything. The real answer though to healing these concealed wounds is NOT to meditate on it and focus on ourselves; it's to get out and focus on others. To do our visiting and home teaching, to think about those in our area who need a hand or a listening ear, and then to be that person. I know that as I've done that on my mission, my internal hardships have literally dwindled to almost nothing. Find those opportunities to serve, uplift and bless, and the same will be true for you.

I love you all! Please don't be afraid to write; it's wonderful for me to hear what's going on in your lives.

Love love love!

Sister Hale

No comments:

Post a Comment