Friday, June 14, 2013

Mission Field Week 1

HELLO! :D 

I'm so so happy to be emailing. The mission is really fun; more fun than I expected, and really cool...but it's also great to hear from those I love and get back in touch with my home base.

Alright, SO! Where to begin? Well...! So far, the mission is just great. Cool, scary...but I think I'll get over the fear component (especially in regards to contacting) as I just do it and continue in faith. I'll give you all the big updates:

1) Where am I?

So it was a little scary because our mission is being SPLIT on July 1st into Seattle and Everett, with Seattle taking the lower 4 stakes. I was sure I was going to get put there and was a little bit bummed (...the beauty of the northern country!)...but huzzah! I was not put there! I'm still in Everett, serving in Everett and Snohomish stakes with Sister Chudleigh. And...*drumroll*...we're serving in the YSA ward! AH! It's so cool. It's Silverlake, they've got probably 70-80 people coming...and like 833 on the less active list. YEAH. This is the time, right? That separates the active from the less active? Yes. So this is mostly what I'll be doing; contacting as many people on that list as possible, encouraging them to come back to church, and back into the light of the Gospel.

2) Who is my companion?

SISTER CHUDLEIGH! :D ...she's great. So great. Exactly what I needed on my first transfer. She's smart, chill, beautiful...but also a go getter, extremely faithful and obedient...such a blessing. We've been having a lot of fun together. This is also her last transfer; she's 24, and headed back to Utah (and BYU-I) in mid July to finish up her degree in Humanities. I'm attaching a picture hopefully. We work really really well together though; she's trained a bunch of missionaries and is very encouraging. Super great blessing, I love her a lot.

Inline image 4


3) What is an awesome experience you've had in this past week?

Well we've really been blessed with a lot of great experienced. We're whitewashing into the ward, which means we didn't have an area book, didn't have any moving or former investigators...kind of scary. BUT! We've been blessed to find some really cool people in just the few days I've been out.

Coolest experience on the first day of real missionary work: We were street contacting on a college campus, adn we saw these ladies signing at this table--speaking ASL. I know a bit from the last two years of High School, but I hadn't contacted anyone yet and I was SCAREDDD...anyways, Sister Chudleigh brought me over, and we started talking to them. They were very friendly; doing this if you know ASL is a little more acceptable in their culture I believe...but anyway! We dove right into it! Both were deaf....bu tit was really cool. Though I haven't spoken any sign for the last...2 years or so, I was up to speed very quickly. I was understanding and communicating pretty smoothly, while Sister Chudleigh (who knows very little) was kind of 'uh-huh ing' in the background. We talked about grace, works, having Christ in your heart...it was really neat. We ended up exchanging information with them, and getting their referral to the ASL elders (who apparently have a pretty hard time finding people to teach). It was really a great experience, especially on my first day.

Well! Didn't mean to put that in the middle of the email, but hope it worked.

Inline image 1


4) What is a wonderful spiritual thought you'd like to share with us?

Well! I'm so glad you asked. :)

I really have learned so so much in this last week, it seems impossible to share a specific insight with you...ARG. But I'm going to do my best.

Alright, here goes: Helaman 13:38

This is a little doleful, but just hear me out.

"...for ye have sought all the days of your lives for that which ye could not obtain; and ye have sought for happiness in doing iniquity, which thing is contrary to the nature of that righteousness which is in our great and Eternal head."

You cannot find happiness outside of God because God is happiness. Really. And instructions to obtain that happiness are found in personal revelation and in the standards/commandments we are given, as well as in the scriptures. Believe me, there are some rules on my mission I've been reluctant about, or thought are stupid...but as soon as I obey, bend myself to that instruction, my reluctance has disappeared, and I've begun to see the reasons for the rules. I promise that this is the experience all can have as they humble themselves and seek to follow after that happiness that is found in being close to God, rather than finding it in some other way. 

Also, Met Gabe at the MTC!

Inline image 2

1 comment:

  1. Bronwen, we love you!! You are so fantastic. You have always been such a valiant spirit. I have a strong conviction that you were sent exactly there for a very important purpose. You will shine your light and people will be drawn to you. We pray for you!!
    Love, Sarah and Clint.
    Oh P.S. about us. WE have moved and phew! That was hard. But I love this new house. It's so pretty and there are 48 kids on this one block! It's still a short walk to our church and school. I'm already excersizing with my across the street neighbor and the boys are enjoying night games with their friends. We also have a cute girl up the street who is an 8th grader and she said she'd "Totally be Talmage's bodyguard at Clayton" our middle school. Talmage went to youth conference and had a fantastic time. He came home saying, "Missions are so awesome!" and "Looking at a girl in a bikini makes you feel like you are drunk." He was the smallest and probably best cared for kid there.
    Clint's parents came this week and Clint's Dad fired his cannon at Fort Douglas Days (That's the Fort on the U of U campus that held Johnson's army which came to oversee us crazy Mormons) Went to a pool and a waterpark and sorted through the boxes in our house. All but one room is done now. :) Love and prayers, the Cresaps

    ReplyDelete